Friday, June 24, 2011

Feminism on the Internet

I used to follow a number of feminist-related blogs, newsfeeds and the like. It finally got to the point where I unfollowed them all - first of all because it was drowning my feed in items, which is hard enough to get through at the best of times (and I do want to absorb all the things I read!), but mainly because I seriously didn't think I could ever go out with any guy if I kept on reading it. There is a saying that goes something like 'God made women both incredibly smart and incredibly foolish - foolish for falling in love with men.' It's insane how the male-dominated culture has persisted so in our world - understandably stemming from the fact that males do, in general, grow larger than females, and so have physical dominance.

But with the advent of other types of dominance, where being the strongest in a melee is no longer the defining factor, why hasn't this changed? I guess we humans are more resistant to change than we like to think we are. There is no reason why women can't dominate, and indeed they do, in areas like academic achievement (there are now, apparently, more women at university than men - though how that's an achievement nowadays is not really clear to me, given that it is nigh impossible to find a job uneducated) - but yet at a high level, there is still an absence of women. It's like we're the right end of a bell curve topped by a little helping of men at the 3rd standard deviation. And still, the sexism persists - no longer mainstream, granted - but hiding just under the bland surface of acceptance and equality lurks an unwarranted resentment at that bell curve. Why? What is wrong with women progressing? Having careers? Making their husbands take care of their children if they have to work?

Which brings me back to my original point. That women are foolish and love men. The problem with all the feminist propaganda I used to enjoy reading was that it actually made too much sense sometimes. Why do we even need men? What have men ever done for women except, I don't know, give them sexual gratification? But my parents say (and my parents are usually right) humans are wired to relationships. And lately, I've realised, dammit, they are. It's like trying to be a dog when you were born a cat. It's something that you can indeed fight against, and work towards, but in the end the path of least resistance is always going to be towards pairing up. Fighting against it takes up energy that, in my opinion, is probably better used to, well, advance careers. Ironically.

I guess I'll always have that feminist streak. I am definitely not a sandwich maker and damn all to hell I want to have a successful career. I guess I just want it all. Is that too much to ask?

No comments:

Post a Comment